Monday, August 28, 2017

This project - Where it all began.

Many years ago I had the privilege of working at an High Adventure Base in Maine. Right on the boundary of Baxter State Park.

Wilderness, lakes, rivers, wildlife and one of the best places to camp anywhere.
I, needless to say, fell in love with the area.

Depending on which way you are going, Baxter State Park is either your finish or your start to the Appalachian Trail.


And one of my favorite places to camp in the park is Katahdin Stream Campground.

Surrounded by trees, right along Katahdin Stream, the campsite is ideally placed for one of the best hikes up Mt. Katahdin.








 The entrance has this view of Mt. Katahdin, but the campsites soon take you into the woods.
 And way back in about 1978 is the first time I got to experience an Adirondack shelter like the one pictured here at Katahdin Stream campground.

These are ideal for sleeping in and looking out at the woods, and hearing the stream just beyond your picnic table.
If it is a rainy evening, a great place to hang your lantern and read a book.
Up off the ground, nice and dry.
 The closeness to others allow for visiting with like minded campers, yet far enough apart to be private.
And usually when I go there are not many people around anyway.
 Here in autumn colors.

Although built of much smaller logs than the ones I am using, this is where I got the idea to begin with.

While this campground is not the only one in the park that has these, these are the ones I think about the most.
 And a great place to hang things up to dry.















An old post card of Katahdin Stream Campground.

























And look, even the ranger station is made out of logs.



















I have also stayed in these shelters (below) at South Branch Pond. . .

. . . as well as some at Nesowadnehunk Field, both in Baxter State Park.

(These at South Branch are my second favorite, but much closer to where I worked near the park.)
Although also built of logs, the building style is a little different.

No comments:

Post a Comment