Friday, October 21, 2016

Replica of Laura Ingalls birthplace.

Little House Wayside

Movies with log cabins - The Adventures of the Wilderness Family I, II and III

The late 60's and early 70's found a very big 'back to earth' movement in America. Getting away from the 'rat race' was a big theme. And from this movement came the family oriented movies about the 'Wilderness Family'.
Very Disney like in thier views of nature and wild animals the movies were none-the-less fun and had great locations. Actor Robert Logan is best remembered for these films.
Just picked these up for my daughter and I to watch when we stay out at the cabin.

The family started with a small cabin, then moved into a bigger one.

You can see the smaller cabin in the back ground of this and the next image.

Monday, October 17, 2016

Adirondack Lean-to project; another good days work

Although a little warmer than I normally like it for log work, it was none-the-less a good day to get some more work done.

Using rollers to move the log, and ramps to get it up on the platform I was able to get my next long log up before company arrived.

I was able to use the notch on one end that was already on the log, but I had had to cut the other end shorter than the original log, so I had to make one crown notch on this log at this closest end. (That's why it looks so uneven in this photo, not notched yet.)
 Here it is notched, and you can really see how this log differed in width from one end to the other.
It also shows how you need to stagger your wider and narrower logs all the way up to keep your logs as close to level as you can.
I other words; you can't have all thick logs on one side and all thin logs on the other.
 On the cabin this top log came from it was the top log that the joist plate rested on.
You can tell that in two ways.
The notch on top is not a crown notch, but rather a more complicated one that would keep the plate log from sliding off.
Secondly you can see that the end of the log sticks over the log below it about four inches.
That was to allow the plate log to stick out a bit and give better rain run-off off of the roof. A slight cantilever.
 Just by eye so far, not to far off level.
 Here that log is now notched on both ends, and while there is still a good gap by the tapering of the log, it is now not as great.
 Good friends John and Diane came out once again and this time John brought tools.
Some really nice old chisels and a wooden mallet.
Man did those chisels work well. Nice and sharp.
Made it a pleasure to use them.

Here is John heard at work using them.

 Taking shape.
 Finishing touches.
 He did one end and I did the other.

Here you can see how the middle log is much wider than the one above or below.
Staggering your widths.
 The other end.
 Close up.
 One thing about having friends come out while I work is that I actually end up in a couple photos now and then.
The nice tools John brought out.

Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Monday, October 3, 2016

Adirondack Lean-to Project - the sleeping deck

First tools of the day.
 Saturday was a great day out at the cabin. Cloudy, high 60's - low 70's.
Great day to get some work done.

Started laying the deck joists.
Having the two sill logs to rest them on I didn't have to attach any hangers anywhere.
First thing to do was make sure both ends of the deck were level, both front and back.
You can see yellow level string attached at both ends.
 Once the level was made I started placing the lumber every two feet, using the strings to keep everything level.
 I had bumped the second log on the west wall back as far as I could so I could use the sill log to rest the joists on.
As I worked north I had to notch a little out of the sill log to keep the joists level.

Most of the notches I did with an axe, chisel and hammer.

But when I needed to make a deeper notch I used the chain saw. This kept me from having to hack out too much wood on either side of the notch.
I only ended up having to do this on two notches.
It made a very neat and tight notch.

 All up and checking my level.
You can also see here that the logs are pretty straight along the front.
Which meant the back log on the west wall had very little bow in it even after a hundred and fifty years.
Supervisor hard at work. . . well. . . supervising.

 Then it was time to attach the front plate.
With the joists both level and straight this didn't prove to be too hard and gave it a nice finished look.

 Then it was time for the decking for the sleeping deck.
I used treated lumber for the first four rows that may get some weather, but used untreated for the rest.

Almost done.
I ended up being two boards short and will get them next time I go out.

This decking now in place will also make it easier to raise the logs above the deck.

While on one of my breaks I came across the wonderful mushroom.

 Its official name is 'Laetiporus', but is commonly called 'sulfur shelf' or 'Chicken of the woods' and it is edible.

It had appeared here last year, and two weeks ago I was afraid it would not come back.

But by this weekend it had, and all this grew in two weeks.
 It is very soft to the touch.
And the color is beautiful.

 I could go home with out at least working with one log.
So I was able to get one more up on the south end to match the north end.
Only had to make one 'V' notch and that was on the lower notch.

Coins with log cabins.

While going through our state coins to try and see if she had one for each state, she spotted this cabin on Tennessee's state quarter.

Doing only a quick search I could only find one other coin with a cabin on it.