Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Blast from the past . . .

 Once again, going through old slides. . . .

. . . I came across a couple old log barns from St. Charles County. Pictures taken about 1981.

I for the life of me can not remember where this one is/was.
 In this photo you can see it is a nice two crib log barn.

The logs have never been hewn, so it was always intended as a barn. (Why do I say that? Well my main cabin, although built as a house, had a cow living in it when I got it.)

It doesn't appear to have ever been chinked, but some boards have been placed over a few of the openings between logs.
 A little closer look and you can easily see the two cribs and lack of hewing.
 This one I do remember.

It is not to far from Daniel Boone's home. Along the same river plain and same valley.

We would always visit this property, my log mentor and me, to see the barn that is hidden to the right by the trees.
He called it an 'apple barn', made for the packing and processing of apples from near by.
 It was a giant barn with incredible joist work and beams inside.

The little one crib log barn is in the back ground on the left.
Even back in 1981 the log barn was pretty far gone.

I will have to go by and see if anything remains.

No comments:

Post a Comment