Wednesday, September 6, 2017

A little more about 'Red Tail' - my first build.

Over the years I have tried to explain the history of this cabin, my first build, and how it came about.

I don't always I do a very good job of explaining where all the logs came from.

So . . . over the last few nights I have been sorting old slides that I have and I have come up with a few more of 'Red Tail'.




 What I usually try to say is, "We had decided to build a small A-frame out of the lumber from the old house we were taking down, but once we saw all the logs (about 100) that had been placed 'fort' like in the walls, we decided to build a log cabin instead."
Well, here you can see how close the logs were placed and why we ended up with so many logs.













 The following are just some more of the building process.

Logs going up around the windows.
 And around the door.
 Above the window.

Because the logs were all so short, we framed the windows as we went up instead of cutting out the holes once the walls were so big.

Saved us some piecing together of short logs, just to then cut them out.
One for cuteness.

At home we couldn't keep this dog in the yard.
Working at the cabin, he wouldn't leave our side.
 Back door.
Again, back door.
 Front door, looking where the back door will go.
 We had no power on the property, so if the chain saw wouldn't do it, we had to do it by hand.
 Front door and two windows framed in.
Back door looking at fire place.

In the background you can see the chimney that was surronded by the logs in the first couple of photos.

We never did us this chimney again.
Instead we just left it as kind of a monument to the original builder.






 Starting on the roof.
 Almost all the rafters up.
Before windows and chinking.

Wow! Lots of great memories.

"We started after the last snow in April, and finished before the first snow in November."

I am sure I will have more pictures as I explore more slides.

No comments:

Post a Comment