Friday, September 22, 2017

One that got away - a Lincoln County barn


If you have been following for more than a couple of days now, both of you, you have been seeing lots of photos of this Adirondack Project out at the cabin.

But just like every thing else on this blog, there seems to be a story to go along with parts of it.

In this case it is part of the foundation 'The Project' stands on.

The foundation was not originally built for this shelter.



Instead, it was built for this small log barn you can see to the left in the second photo.

Back in the late 90's while driving around Lincoln County Mo., I came across an old small barn out in a field.
It had not been used for a very long time.
The roof was partially gone, and trees were hugged up real tight to its sides.
One had actually damaged a few logs.

A couple of friends and myself took it down one Sunday in the winter.
The barn measured 16' x 16'. The logs were fairly small and it had pretty wide gaps between the logs.

I built a foundation right away and got the logs up very quickly.

And then the project stalled. I bought a house, money had to go else where, time had to be spent on other things . .  you know the story.

After sitting un-roofed for several years, the already not great logs got even worse. To the point where the repairs required made the project no longer feasible.
Eventually I took the logs down, but left the foundation.

(Found a picture of it before we took it down.)

While I wish I had made the time to finish the little barn, and save the logs, I like what I ended up doing with the foundation.

No comments:

Post a Comment