Monday, August 28, 2017

Another couple of days on the project.. . .

 Went out Friday straight from work and got the evening and Saturday morning to work on the project.

Two of the three key areas I got to work on are pictured here.

Just a few little things to do before the roof goes one.

The red circle with the orange arrow is where I bolted down the over hang plate now that the rafters are set.




I used ten inch lag bolts to attach both ends of the top plate.
The red circle with the green arrow is where I bolted the front log support to the logs.
Here I used eight inch lag bolts.
I countersunk the bolts so I can come back and put a piece of dowel rod over each bolt to make it look like it was pegged.

















All that took till about dusk, then it was time for steak, beans and a beer.





















 I tried out a new hammock for sleeping Friday night.

While my first two attempts to get into it looked like a bad parachute landing, third attempt proved successful and it was pretty comfortable once cocooned inside.
Saturday morning found me finishing off the top plate bolts and then closing in the rafter ends on the back plate log (circled in red in the next photo.)

This is a lot easier now than waiting till the roof decking is down. It will keep any breeze from coming up under the eaves once it's all finished.

 With these couple of chores done I was able to remove almost all the other supporting lumber that had been holding it all together.

It gives it a cleaner look, and you are better able to see what it will look like when finished.
With this end facing a nice fire, it will be a fun place to sleep in cooler weather.
 I put the tarps back over to protect the logs a little from the incoming rain expected Sunday evening.















The inside with the supporting lumber removed.

Here is how it looks in front of the fire pit and the main cabin.
Can't wait for cooler weather!



No comments:

Post a Comment