Friday, January 12, 2018

Found some pictures from the early 90's, 1990's, of the cabins as I was taking them down.




Up until I built the Adirondack shelter, this is how the cabin basically looked for many years after I rebuilt it

I have tried to share photos of the process as I came across them.

Being out with shoulder surgery, I have been able to start sorting through slides and pictures.

Last night I came across several and have taken some quick, low quality pictures to share here.



These first two are basically the same view as above, and this is how I first saw the cabin back around 1990 or so.

Outwardly it does not appear to be a cabin, just an old house.

This is how we find many old log cabins.
A little closer.















 I always tell people there was a cow living in it when I started taking it down.
And here he is.
















 These next few are of various stages of removing the siding

Outside the two windows on the shaded side is the 15 inches of manure that was inside.
 In this one you can see how the siding was attached to the cabin by those long vertical slats.

The logs would occasionally have a little notch in them so the slats would be level up and down.
 The grey area under the window is where the siding had been missing  so the logs had turned grey there.

In the previous picture you can see how brown the covered logs were under the siding.

Only a short time in the sun turns them grey.

In the back on the left side you can see a white building.

This building was the house that contained the logs that I used in the Adirondack shelter.

(In the lower right corner in the front of the photo you can see how the corners can deteriorate from moisture. I ended up having to replace seven logs on this cabin.)




Here it is later with some of the siding off. Only the right hand side was log. The left, while still old, was framed.
At one time it was a grand farm house.

More on this, actually both, building as I go through more photos.








Here is the cow hoping I will give it a ride to a new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment