Friday, January 26, 2018

Still looking for things to do till my shoulder gets better . . . .

So I took some more bad photos of old slides . . . .
 These first two are of a cabin that stood just a few miles from my place.
It has since been removed.

For many years it had an old wood burning stove and other things inside.
 The logs had never been hewn.
 This one is the start of my pile of stones for the main cabin.
I found a local quarry that would let me go in and hand pick the stones I wanted. In the end I ended up hauling over 20 tons in my old Ford Pickup truck.
 These next two are a little more about the process. This cabin is the one that ended up giving me the logs for the Adirondack Shelter.

Once again you can see the framed side of the house that was just as big as the log side.
Both sides made for a pretty big farm house.
I completely removed the frame side so I could better get to the logs for inspection and tagging.

Here you can see I left the roof on the log side for weather protection.

In the end the logs had been cut up pretty bad when more doors and windows were added. It would have been tough to put it back the way it was.
While the logs did not make it back into a completed cabin, I like the project I used them for.

This is where those logs ended up.

And I may still have enough for another project.

No comments:

Post a Comment