Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Found it!

At one time, the book of books!

Unless, when you dismantle an old log cabin, you just plan on using the logs for random projects, you have to have somewhere where you keep all your information on how you have it tagged.

Mine was this little inauspicious book with a hard cover and three rings. I guess we called them three ring binders. Pretty common when I was growing up.
Not as big as most. 5x7 pages I believe.
But easy to carry around and keep in the truck.
Inside I kept track of my numbering system.

And while taking a tea break, make sketches of some of my ideas of how I hoped the finished cabin may look.

My concepts were much more imaginative then the finished project.
 This picture shows how I alphabetized the corners and numbered the rows of what back then I called the summer kitchen, but now call the main cabin.




















This one shows the rafters on one that I never got to put back up. I called it the slave cabin. And will post more about that this week.

This one is of what was called then, the Blacksmith Shop. Now known as the Pitt's Blacksmith Shop or cabin.





















 And this page is for the cabin shown below, which at the time I was taking them down I called the Main House.

The logs from 'the Main House' were the ones I used for the Adirondack shelter project.

While in some cases on the smaller buildings I drew out each log.
On the larger buildings I just recorded my numbering system and a general map of the walls.

No matter how you do it, you have to have a system that works for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment