Monday, October 3, 2016

Adirondack Lean-to Project - the sleeping deck

First tools of the day.
 Saturday was a great day out at the cabin. Cloudy, high 60's - low 70's.
Great day to get some work done.

Started laying the deck joists.
Having the two sill logs to rest them on I didn't have to attach any hangers anywhere.
First thing to do was make sure both ends of the deck were level, both front and back.
You can see yellow level string attached at both ends.
 Once the level was made I started placing the lumber every two feet, using the strings to keep everything level.
 I had bumped the second log on the west wall back as far as I could so I could use the sill log to rest the joists on.
As I worked north I had to notch a little out of the sill log to keep the joists level.

Most of the notches I did with an axe, chisel and hammer.

But when I needed to make a deeper notch I used the chain saw. This kept me from having to hack out too much wood on either side of the notch.
I only ended up having to do this on two notches.
It made a very neat and tight notch.

 All up and checking my level.
You can also see here that the logs are pretty straight along the front.
Which meant the back log on the west wall had very little bow in it even after a hundred and fifty years.
Supervisor hard at work. . . well. . . supervising.

 Then it was time to attach the front plate.
With the joists both level and straight this didn't prove to be too hard and gave it a nice finished look.

 Then it was time for the decking for the sleeping deck.
I used treated lumber for the first four rows that may get some weather, but used untreated for the rest.

Almost done.
I ended up being two boards short and will get them next time I go out.

This decking now in place will also make it easier to raise the logs above the deck.

While on one of my breaks I came across the wonderful mushroom.

 Its official name is 'Laetiporus', but is commonly called 'sulfur shelf' or 'Chicken of the woods' and it is edible.

It had appeared here last year, and two weeks ago I was afraid it would not come back.

But by this weekend it had, and all this grew in two weeks.
 It is very soft to the touch.
And the color is beautiful.

 I could not go home with out working on at least one log.
So I was able to get one more up on the south end to match the north end.
Only had to make one 'V' notch and that was on the lower notch.

No comments:

Post a Comment