Monday, October 28, 2013

Before and After

A few posts back, I attempted to give a little history of my small cabin I call 'Pitts Blacksmith Shop'.
If you remember, here is how it looks now.

This is what I call the front.
This is the first view you get when you come down the drive. It faces east.













Well, over the last week or so, I have been sorting through old photos. Trying to make categories.
One pile for family, one for kayaking, one for log cabins other than my own and one for my cabins.
While sorting I came across several I took of the Pitts building before we took it down.

It sat in a large field, somewhat behind the old farm house, which also no longer stands.
Roof was kept in fairly good shape, so logs to were in good shape.
This would have been the south side, and by no intentional planning on my part, is still the southern exposure on it's new site.
The boards cover a window on the south.
You can see a door and window on the western end also.
A close up of the fine dove-tail notches.

 This side with the two doors is the eastern exposure and remains the same.
One door was for human access and the other for shorter animals.
Another window on the northern side.
If you look close, you can see boards covering the gap between logs.
It was never chinked.
The boards allowed winter wind protection, but could be removed in summer for ventilation.
There was no second story. It took my brother and I about a day to take it down and move it.


This is the western exposure now. You can see the door and window on the back side.
Windows on the north and south sides now are under the over hangs on both sides.
You can also see how we added a second story by increasing the pitch of the roof.



It looked beautiful in it's old setting, and I hope I have done it proud in it's new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment