Saturday, September 22, 2018

Cleaning up . . .


 As I near the end of the Adirondack project I have started cleaning up the logs I have left over to see if any are usable for more than firewood.














Most have long, deep sections of bad wood. Some just have bad ends.
Some, actually most have only small areas of good wood.
But it is amazing after 150 years or more of being down and shaped how good some of the wood still is.

I still have one more big pile of
logs to go through and I hope I have enough for one small project of some kind.






As I go through the logs if I find any features I think are worth preserving I am cutting them out and will put them some where safe.

Some of the logs having some neat and well done notches that are worth keeping and using as a 'teachable moment' for anyone interested.

And for the most part I can remember where these logs were on the original building and how they were used.

This is a notch in one of the cap logs (the last log to go on).
 Another view.
 And this is that section cut out. I will clean it up and put it where people can see it, but where it is protected from the weather.
 Another view showing the other side.
I am also going to explore some of the old nails and see if I can find both hand forged and cut nails.



No comments:

Post a Comment