Thursday, March 15, 2018

Yep, still scanning old slides and photos. . . .

. . . and got to return to another cabin from my past. Once again we go to Maine.

Under 'Log Cabins I have known' I wrote about this cabin in Maine, near Baxter State Park.

The Grand Lake Matagamon cabin of Edmund Ware Smith. (Don't forget to check out his books.)








Scanning and sorting I came across a few more from the time I got to visit the place.

This is the lake side of the cabin.
The opposite side from the view above.
 Kitchen, every thing cleaned up and stacked to keep mice away.
 Stove.
I didn't take many pictures inside.
I think I felt I was intruding. Although I was there with permission, I guess I felt I shouldn't take too many inside.
 Wife walking outside when we visited a few years ago. We did not get to go inside on this trip.


  In the above mentioned post I wrote about his friends who would visit and they called themselves 'Jakes Rangers' after artist, who was one of them, Maurice 'Jake' Day.

In the field just out of view in the above photo, there were several smaller cabins, log and otherwise.

Each "member" of Jake's Rangers had there own cabin to sleep in using Smiths house as the informal meeting place for there northern adventures.

Here is a picture of Jakes Rangers with Chief Justice Douglas and the caption that the Baxter State Park page had on the photo;
Jake's Rangers" at Roaring Brook, photo taken by Roaring Brook Ranger Ed Werler, date unknown (likely late 1950's,early '60's).
Left to right: Ed Pierce, Jake Day, Bentley Glidden, Justice William O' Douglas, Edmund Ware Smith. Justice Douglas was a wilderness champion and Edmund Ware Smith wrote about "Jake's Rangers" in his much loved books. Jake Day is the Maine artist who created the seal/logo for Baxter State Park.


No comments:

Post a Comment