Tuesday, March 27, 2018

B2R by the fire - The Foxfire Books

 Mentally, I still believe I am of the age where most things are older than I am.

So, needless to say, I was a little surprised when reading about the Foxfire books that they are a bit younger than I am.

I thought they had been around for much longer.

Anyone who loves hanging around old things (and I guess that includes me now) or old ways knows about the Foxfire book series.

I recently ventured into them again because I wanted to reread the section, which is in the first book, on log cabin building.

As with everything in these books it is fantastic.

While not everything in the books will be of interest to everyone (like how to boil a pig), each book will contain something you will enjoy.

This, book one, had a very large section on cabin building and many of the things that go along with it.

But just as fun was the pieces on the people of Appalachia. Probably the last generation in this country to be totally self sufficient.
 The Foxfire book project started out of a need to reach High School students in an otherwise failing system. And like many grassroot startups, it took on a life of its own.

Some day I will have to take a trip to their museum to see the log cabins and such.

Pictured here are a couple from the museum site.

No comments:

Post a Comment