Monday, September 19, 2016

Adirondack Lean-to project -- Notching 101


 Was able to get out to the cabin yesterday, Sunday and get a little bit done on the project.

Now that we are moving above the sill logs and the first course I will start using 'V' notches until we get to the top plate.

So. . . here is the first 'V' notch I have done since about 1995.

While the tools aren't quite as sharp, nor my skills, it didn't turn out to bad.

Some of the wood isn't in the best of shape, so the wood is a little harder to work with.










Had visitors today out at the cabin, so I actually ended up with a little enthusiastic help.

My friends John and Diane stopped by, and John is always one to try his hand at new things so we ended up having a notch 101 class going on.

Here John is setting the angle for the notch.
The first scores we do with the chain saw. . .














Then moving on to hammer, axe and chisel.



 Till I find my three inch chisel a sharp axe will have to do.
 Fine tuning with a smaller chisel.

He did the top of one log and the bottom of another to complete his first log cabin 'V' notch.

Now I just have to give him a key to the gate and he can come out and practice whenever he likes.

















So, at the end of Sunday here is how it looks.
Two more logs up and the third one ready to be worked on.

We will lay the decking next work day which will allow us a working platform once the logs start getting higher.

No comments:

Post a Comment