Friday, April 6, 2018

Little cabin in the (downed) woods or 'as memory serves'

Our memories are funny things.
Things are smaller than we remember.
Things aren't always where we thought they were.
Many years ago, 30 plus, my log cabin mentor, John Frank, took me by a little log cabin in OFallon Mo.
  I am sure we had been out doing other things that day also; cutting firewood, visiting other antique shops, etc. And we stopped by a little log cabin near a much newer brick home. I don't know the reason we stopped by. Maybe they wanted his advice on something to do with it. Maybe they thought he would want to take it down and move it.
I just don't remember the purpose of our visit.

 On the way out to our cabin, we would pass where I seemed to remember this little cabin stood, just out of sight from the road.
  And for these last thirteen years or so I often drive by the spot in my work truck usually couple of times a week.
  But being in a work truck, I don't stop by. "I'll do it another day," had become my excuse.

  Well, driving by the site yesterday, I noticed a lot of brush and trees had been removed, land cleared and a 'for sale' sign on the lot.
  Well, I have missed a few chances at others times, to look at an old building, just to find them gone when I finally get there, so I thought I better make it happen.


  The top picture is how I found it yesterday. Hidden in the bulldozed trees. It sat just below the levee of a small pond.

  They had made sure all the trees were kept clear of the building (and the others on the site).

 This is the front door and porch.

  The door is missing, as is the window on this side.

  Not much left of the porch decking, but what was there was stable.


  Inside was a half loft, with an old wood ladder going up.

  The loft joist's were left round and still had bark on them, as did the rafters.

The loft floor was rough cut boards.
  This is the view as you walk in the front door.
  Not to much rubble really.

Fireplace to the right.
An old chest of drawers tipped over.

Not much else.

At one time it was wired for electric.

 The chinking is a little over done, especially on the inside.

But that happens quite often.

 I love the little shelves around the room. The supports were cut to shape to fit around the logs.

A nice little detail.
 This is the addition on the back, or west side.

  Sun was just in the wrong place to get a good shot of it.

  I don't know if it was used as a kitchen or just another room.

  There was an overturned couch in it when I stopped by.
 The gable ends are covered with rough cut boards.

  You can see right through the gaps, so it had never had insulation of any kind. At least at this location.












The roof is old channel and grove tin.

 The notches are 'V' notches, and the logs have been hewn.

  They are very small logs, so this could have been some type of utility building or even a slave or workers cabin at one time.

  This, the south side, had the most weather and possible damage.

  I doubt if the window is original.
The style and shape do not indicate that.

  Probably added later or during a move of the cabin at one time.

  If the logs did not prove to be in to bad a shape it would be a fun little building to reuse as a play house, shed or little weekend place.

No comments:

Post a Comment