Thursday, January 2, 2014

New Years Day 2014, Part One - Revisits. . . and maybe farewells. . . but a great day none-the-less.

 New Years Day afternoon found me with some time to my self, so I set out with a purpose I had not realized I had in the morning when I started out.

My intent was to go find one new cabin to photograph in Augusta and then head to my cabin for a little while. Once I started driving I realized I, unknowingly had other plans.

I found myself taking one of my favorite drives in one of my favorite parts of our county.
The Femme Osage area of south-western St. Charles County. Daniel Boone country.
Although most of the area and homes are now owned by well-to-do newcomers, most of the area retains much of it's country style. And let's face it, if not for the well-to-do newcomers, many of these old farm buildings would be long gone.

The barn in this picture could easily rank in the top-twenty barns in the country. A giant made of stone, with doorways large enough to drive a double team pulling a wagon right on through.

A panoramic view.
 Also in the wonderful Femme Osage valley are some fantastic old farm houses like this one.
 At the end of the valley where the village of Femme Osage sits is this beautiful UCC church.
Here decked out for Christmas.
 Across the creek from the church is the old stone school house.
 Right next to the cemetery.
 Still in great shape and used as a museum.


 The inside.














Well, after my visit to the Femme Osage valley I found myself heading towards what is really the first cabin I ever built mostly by myself.

I wrote about that time in my life here, earlier this year in this blog.

I had not walked back to it for probably about six years.

And in a way I wanted to check it out and see what kind of shape it was in, and if in good shape, I hoped some day to take daughter back to it and show her where all this log cabin silliness got started.

As I approached through the woods, it didn't look any different than the last time I had been.
 Even as I got closer it seemed pretty intact.
 But as I walked around the side with the drive I could see the condition was much in distress.
 A tree limb had fallen on the roof damaging the window and much of the chinking on this one side.

Luckily the tin on the roof was fairly new, otherwise the limb would have done more damage.

Now it should be stated here, that the people responsible for this cabin are also the ones mentioned in this post. Again, I am not going to assume their situation, but. . . .
Although dusty and dirty, the interior was almost a time-capsule of the many years ago when I also used it.
The old scout semaphore flags still hung on the wall.
 The bunks I had rescued from another site were still ready to be used.
Our tattered flag still hung behind.

The cook gear we used, still on the shelves.

But it has not been used in a long time.
The tree had done a lot of damage to this one side, chinking gone, window broken.
 At 35 years of age, and only a couple of hundred dollars spent while building it and after all this lack of use, it is holding up well, and could still be a fun little rustic getaway.
The damage is not beyond repair. But I do not see the current owners caring.

Back in the early 80's we even did a couple family Thanksgivings here.
 I don't think I will take daughter to see it. I like the way it looked in the older pictures better.
 The walls still twist and bend and all the windows kind of lean a different way. . . .
The view as I walk away.
Will it be the last time I see it standing?

So my day started visiting old sites and memories.
But part two, tomorrow, will find me exploring new 'old' sites.

See ya then.

No comments:

Post a Comment