Saturday, March 31, 2018

Yes, I too was 'over there' before 'over here'!

For readers of this blog, I meant to post this on my other blog but put it here by mistake. Enjoy. Now you can view it in two places!

The one time my family makes the headlines and I am no where to be seen.

These memories came flooding back with this weeks Sepia Saturday prompt.













My tale of woe goes all the way back to 1956, Friday, November 9th to be exact.
(But who's counting.)

Yea, I was around back then. Had been for a little over 13 months.

Not only did my family make the headlines, we (they) had a rather large photo placed on the front page under that headline. (This one to the left without me in it.)

But I am no where to be seen.

I have always been proud of the fact that we came ‘over here’ from ‘over there’ ( a lady in a grocery store once asked my dad if we had driven all the way ‘here’ from ‘over there’).

I like having that connection to a far away place, “We’re from over there.”

As much as I can, I celebrate my ‘over there’ heritage. (At least as much as one can without having to relive that famous revolution of the late 1700’s with my neighbors.) 
You know the kind of thing; president of the local Sherlock Holmes club, the Stars and Strips and the Union Jack stickers on my trucks bumper. A “Brown Betty” on my desk at work (you would be surprised how many pens you can get in a “Brown Betty”). I even named two of my dogs after that earlier dynamic duo, Sherlock and Watson. Teaching my daughter to eat beans on toast and kippers. That sort of thing.

Do you think I have an unhealthy need to prove that “yes, I too was born ‘over there’”?

Now I realize my brother is a couple of years older than me, and that that fact alone allows for more time to have had more pictures taken of him ‘over there’ before we came ‘over here’.

But it seems I have been left with this need to prove that I existed before ‘over here’, you know, 'over there'.

There are far fewer photos of me ‘over there’. Lots of my brother ( and did I mention, he does not have this need to prove he was ‘over there’ before we were ‘over here’). He hardly ever even brings up ‘over there’.

There are lots of pictures of him with uncles and aunts, at the sea side, in prams.
On grandmas knee.
Any photos of me seem a little blurred in comparison. Almost like an after thought; “Oh yea! Let’s get one of ‘what’s his name’”.

We came over on the Queen Elizabeth in Nov. of 1956. I was always told I was the only one that didn’t get sea sick. Apparently the sea can be kinda rough in November. So maybe during my best photographic moments everyone else was too sick to hold and use a camera. 
(Dad, however, never did mention missing many meals while mom was in the cabin sick with us kids.)

And there are several pictures of my brother on that great ship. Standing on deck. Seated with a life ring that says ‘Queen Elizabeth’ around his neck. One of dad holding him up as we passed that great lady in New York harbor.

But only one, yes one, of me. “Oh yea! Lets get one with ‘What’s his name’”. (Did I mention I hold onto that trunk my brother is sitting in to prove I was ‘over there’ also.)

So this weeks Sepia Saturday prompt again brought this sad longing in my life once more to the surface.

“Did I exist ‘over there’ before we had ‘over here’?

Some where buried within that now browned newspaper article I am indeed mentioned.

I comfort myself thinking that mom always said, and it says so in the newspaper, that we were only going (coming over) for a short time, “12 months, maybe three years.” So maybe they thought we would be back in plenty of time to take more pictures of me, while I was still young,  ‘over there’ after we got back from ‘over here’.

Maybe I had fallen asleep while the photographer took so long to set up the shot.
Maybe I had fallen down inside the trunk and the line for other people to have pictures taken was just too long to reset the shot.


As it turned out I had to wait 15 years to have another picture taken of me ‘over there’.


But I hold no grudge.

15 comments:

  1. Such a humorous post, since I don't feel sorry for you not having your photo taken at all! Welcome to America, young whippersnapper, and maybe by now you feel almost native. Or maybe you long for home still?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good match for the prompt (not that your brother is a dog, of course). I enjoyed this humorous story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just out of frame on the prompt is a young dog that some 60 dog years later wondered way it was not in the photo.

      Delete
  3. Very entertaining with a wonderfully humorous touch! That was quite a stretch from 12 months to 15 years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, from 56 - 70 was a long time.
      I have been back several times since.

      Delete
  4. Excellent photos, and enjoyed your post on the meaning of place and belonging. I grew up in upstate New York but now live "downstate" in NYC -- so I experience the same over-here-over-there conundrum your so aptly and humorously describe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Up state New York is wonderful!

      For me it was a sense of not knowing the things my parents knew, and not really knowing relatives.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
    2. But we have had a great life 'over here'.

      Delete
  5. Having grown up in Canada, I have some of that here and there tug. And as the younger child I wasn’t the subject of as much enthusiastic photography as my older sister.Great post and very humorous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do ya think the older child just wore out our parents before we came along?

      Delete
  6. Perfect match for the prompt and a great story as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sad tale of the younger child - my younger sibs are right there with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My older brother is still a lot more work than I am at 65!

      Delete